Posts in Category: Tech Talks

The Fight Against Cyber Threats Requires a Dose of Common Sense

It is known that common sense isn’t common. It’s more frustrating when the procedures used by several associations to prevent cyber attacks lack the use of common sense. Research are documented by this article on the frequencies where many associations that are big scan their networks to spot vulnerabilities and increase their security posture. While zero-day strikes (malware introduced to the cyberspace for which countermeasures have never been developed) constitute approximately 13 percent of all of the vulnerabilities (Ponemon Institute, 2014); the remaining 87 percent are well understood and countermeasures exist for preventing them. The article explains a number of the complacencies of several organizations in combating cyber threats and provides some tips for protecting the information and communication systems which support private and government associations.